Galina Zukova is an Attorney with White & Case in Paris. She is a member of the Latvian and Paris Bars.
Galina’s practice concentrates on international commercial and investment arbitration. She has represented clients and acted as arbitrator (in the capacity of president, sole arbitrator and co-arbitrator) in cases conducted in accordance with the rules of the ICC, LCIA, VIAC, DIS, SCC and UNCITRAL, pursuant to different procedural and substantive laws.
Galina’s previous work experience includes serving as counsel at the ICC International Court of Arbitration, where she was in charge of the case management team that handled matters involving parties from Central and Eastern Europe, CIS countries, Turkey and Greece. In that role, she oversaw hundreds of arbitrations and scrutinized hundreds of awards in the fields of construction, public procurement (including military procurement), state appropriation of assets, telecoms, infrastructure, technology, and general commercial disputes, both under civil and common law. Prior to that, she worked at a leading Baltic law firm, the Latvian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the European Court of Justice and the Latvian European Integration Bureau, where she was in charge of the legal aspects of Latvia's admission to the European Union.
She is a member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR, a chair of the Arbitrators Nominating Committee of the Russian Arbitration Association, a member of the Editorial Board of the ICC Court Bulletin and a member of the Executive Committee of the Society of International Economic Law (SIEL). In the past she has served as a Chair of the European Chapter of the ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF). She is also a listed arbitrator in several arbitration institutions in Central and Eastern Europe.
An Associate Professor at the Riga Graduate School of Law, Galina also lectures on international arbitration at Sciences Po (Paris) and the IELPO Masters programme (University of Barcelona).).
Galina is fluent in English, French, Italian, Latvian, Russian and Spanish, and has a working knowledge of German.
· 'Free Trade between the EU and its Candidate States: The Case of Latvia', Latvijas Vestnesis, 2004 (in English).
· Inga Kacevska (together with) Chapter on Latvia in the World Arbitration Report (forthcoming).
· Report on Latvia, in A.Lazowski (ed.), Brave New World: Application f EU Law in the New Member States¸T.M.C.Asser Press & CUP (forthcoming).
· 'ES tiesibu piemerosana Latvija' (Application of EU Law in Latvia), ttp://www.politika.lv/index.php?id=16552, July 2008 (in Latvian).
· ''Eiropas tiesibu piemerosana Latvijas tiesas'' (Application of EU aw in the Latvian Courts), Jurista Vards, 29 April 2008, pp. 1-10, and 13 May 2008, p. 21-26 (in Latvian).
· "Skirejtiesu regulejums Latvija: atseviski problemjautajumi" (Some roblems in the Latvian Arbitration Regulation) in Civilprocesa aktualie jautajumi. 007. gada zinatniskas konferences materialu krajums, Tiesu Nama Agentura, 2008, pp. 57-184.
· Editor-in-Guest, Baltic Yearbook of International Law, Vol. 8, 2008, pecial Theme "Arbitration in the Baltics: Contemporary Issues". ''Arbitration in three Baltic States: A Thorny Path of Learning'', pp. 1-8.
· Comments on the Latvian Draft Law on Arbitration, Jurista Vards, 18 December 2007 No. 51/52, pp. 12-15 (in Latvian).
· "Amicus Curiae iesniegumi PTO ietvaros", Likums un Tiesibas, August 2007, pp. 212-220 (in Latvian).
· "Amicus Curiae nelle procedure dell'Organizzazione mondiale del commercio: un intervento neutrale?", in 'I principi dell'azione amministrative nello spazio giuridico globale', a cura de G. della Cananea, Quaestio Juris 3, 2007, pp.93-123 .
· "Notion of Investment at the Crossroads. Arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty: Petrobart Limited v. the Kyrgyz Republic", in 'The Reasons Requirement in International Investment Arbitration: Critical Case Studies', edited by Prof. M. Reisman and G. Aguilar Alvarez, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2008,pp.323-347.
· A number of analyses of the ECJ's cases, Likums un Tiesibas (Law and Justice), 2005, in Latvian.
ü Case C-117/01 K. B. v. National Health Service Pensions Agency and Secretary of State for Health, No. 1, pp. 27-29.
ü Case T-168/02 IFAW Internationaler Tierschutz-Fonds gGmbH v. Commission, No. 1, pp.30 -31.
ü Case C-245/02 Anheuser-Busch Inc. v. Budjovický Budvar, národní podnik , No. 2, p.57-58.
ü Cases C-465/02 and C-466/02 Germanu and Denmark v. Commission (Greek feta), No. 12, forthcoming.
· 'Politics and Law at the Crossroads: Nomination of Justices to the US Supreme Court' ('Politika un tiesibas: ASV Augstakas tiesas tiesnesu iecelsana'), Jurista Vards, 4 January 2006.
· 'Uniform Interpretation and Application of International Agreements in the European Union', Baltic Yearbook of International Law, 2004.
· 'Application of International Agreements in the EU Legal Order', Likums un Tiesibas (Law and Justice), December 2003 - February 2004, Nrs. 52-54, in Latvian.
· 'Uniform Interpretation and Application of the Europe Association Agreements. A Job for the Association Councils or for the Judiciary? The Baltic Case', Centre for European Research, Göteborg University, Report No. 11, 2001.
· Review of the book of Petersmann, Ernst-Ulrich, and Joerges, Christian and (eds.), 'Constitutionalism, Multilevel Trade Governance and Social Regulation', Hart Publishing Ltd., 2006, in the Yearbook of European Law, 2008.
· Review of the book of Liebscher, C. and Fremuth-Wolf, A. (eds.) 'Arbitration Law and Practice in Central and Eastern Europe', JurisNet, 2007, in the Baltic Yearbook of International Law, 2008.
· Review of the book of Aggarwal, Vinod K., and Fogarty, Edward (eds.) 'EU Trade Strategies: Between Regionalism and Globalization', Palgrave Macmillan, 2004, on http://www.europeanlawbooks.org , March
· Review of the book of Peter van den Bossche 'World Trade Organization. The law and policy of the World Trade Organization: Text, Cases and Materials', Cambridge-New York: Cambridge University Press, 2005, in the European Law Review, Vol. 31, 2006, pp. 770-771.
· Review of the books of Matsushita, M., Shoenbaum, T.S. and Mavroidis, P. 'The World Trade Organisation. Law, Practice and Policy', OUP, 2003 and Piccone, P. and Ligustro, A. 'Diritto dell' Organizzazione Mondiale del Commercio', CEDAM, 2002, in the Yearbook of European Law, 2004.
· Review of the book of Ott., A. and Inglis, K. (eds.) 'Handbook on European Enlargement: A Commentary on the Enlargement Process', The Hague, T.M.C. Asser Press, 2002, in the Baltic Yearbook of International Law, 2004.